Friday, May 15, 2009

~Kitchen Remodel Part Two~ The Cabinet Makeover

Once we did the first part of our *remodel* in the kitchen, it just kept leading to other ideas! :) I know Seth loves that about me...
I practiced on the 4 cabinets in our bathroom and once we had the technique down, I started on our kitchen.

Ethan helping me wash the cabinets, child labor laws what!?

Now they are laying out to dry

My new friend! Saved me HOURS of sanding and then rewashing. All you have to do is pour some of this onto a lint free rag and make sure it is all covered. In about 10 minutes it is dry and ready to be primed. Easy peasy!


Spray primer. This is where we experimented. I can paint on the primer, and then paint on two coats of paint, OR I can spray on the primer...

Here are the cabinets with one coat of primer. Don't mind all the paint cans in the background...can you tell I am addicted to paint?


Then I can spray on one coat of this...

Here are what they look like with those coats on them.

At this point I get out the paint and a QUALITY paint brush, that is the key! I do one good coat of paint, then they are all done! Using the spray paint for my first two coats literally has saved me hours of work!


My kitchen with the doors off. Don't mind that mess in my spice cabinet or the drill on the counter. Doesn't everyone have a drill on their counter? With the bases, I actually have to hand paint it all, cause I am not about to tape everything off just so I can spray it!

My helper today, I love that Ethan is old enough to help now, and actually enjoys it!! Bonus that Aiden took two really long naps today, so Ethan and I got a lot done!

Aiden was not into helping, here he is watching the music station. Yeah, it's a black screen except for the white box that bounces all around to tell you what is on. He was looking out the window, but I guess the bouncing box caught his attention!

Here are the cabinets just after the liquid sandpaper and the primer coat. They already make the kitchen look so much brighter and it's not even done yet! I know that it is going to be great when it is all said and done!

Next up! Finishing up the top AND bottom cabinets, then new wall color!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I'm excited to see the outcome! You are so brave to do it yourself...you might inspire me! :)